Friday, March 12, 2010

Keepers DAY 4

Well, it's started. I woke up this morning with a the opening lines to the new book. I know I'll change them at least three times before it goes to print, but it felt good to start getting the inspiration. Of course, by the time I got out of the shower I had forgotten most of it and had already started improving on it, which is almost never as good as the original inspiration. Which reminds me: I need a pocket notebook to start carrying around.

It has been my experience, and the experience of other writers that have talked to and associate with, that when inspiration comes, when your Muse nuzzles you from behind, caressing and embracing you and whispers in your ear, you'd better get it written down right then because once she's gone (I'd like to think my muse is a woman), she's gone, and trying to summon her back later, when it's more "convenient" for you usually results in a shoddy, sometimes forced reiteration of her gift from earlier. (That was a bit creepy, wasn't it?)

So, today I will get and start carrying a small notebook and pen everywhere I go.

I didn't mean to comment on this today, but let me say a few things about a "Muse." For those of you who may not be familiar with this word, a Muse is one of of several sister goddesses who were credited with inspiring ancient Greek poets, musicians, and artists. All to often they are thought of as fickle, unpredictable, and unreliable; that we artists are at their whim and can only write (or paint, or compose) when this "inspiration" hits. And despite my above plan to start carrying a notebook around to be ready for these "bursts", I have learned that my Muse can be forced to visit and stay with me as long as I need her. For me, I can make a standing appointment with my Muse. It takes time and consistency, but it can be done. When I wrote Lifted Up I used to go down to the Law Library everyday at lunch and write, and what I noticed is that for one hour (almost to the minute) the ideas and words would flow almost faster than I could write/type, and then it would shut off, like a faucet. That regular, consistent writing allowed all my creative juices to focus. I quite literally had a standing appointment with my writing and it seldom failed me. It might be a little harder given my current situation and goals, but I am going to do what I have to to make this happen.

Oh, and I cleaned off my desk last night (and even balanced the checkbooks...something that's been bothering me for a week or two) and I feel ready to start working.

So let it be written...

so let it be done.

Word Count (0) (+0) (but next week that will all change...)

No comments:

Post a Comment