Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Keepers DAY 43

Writing dialog is one of those things that is very difficult, very detailed yet must come across as effortless and natural. I like playing with double meaning, innuendo, and the like, but it is hard not to make it sound "forced." Nothing kills a book (or a movie, for that matter) than poor dialog. I studied and read movie screenplays for a couple of years trying to get a better ear for it, and I think it helped. It may be time to complete a refresher course and watch those good movies and read those books that display great dialog, where the words all have meaning, move the story along, and are a joy to listen to.

On another note, my interview aired last night. I'm pretty pleased with it. Because it was on so late I need to ask the host if it is available on their website (as a link) or if I can post the copy for people to listen to.

Anyway, I had to remind myself a few times yesterday that I am not writing the finished draft at this stage, and that I just need to push through to the end and then I can go back later and flesh it out. But I have to say I'm really liking the two main characters, and the intrigue is just beginning.

So let it be written...

so let it be done.

Word Count: 33,715 (+1202)

No comments:

Post a Comment