Friday, March 20, 2009

Thoughts on God...

I don't take a topic like this one lightly, but I have been flooded with thoughts about God, His nature, and our relationship to Him these past few days. You see, Natalie read the book The Shack, by Wm. Paul Young (www.theshackbook.com) in her bookclub a few months ago and was really touched by it. I reluctantly agreed to read it and took my own sweet time picking it up. It didn't seem like the type of book I would take the time to read (my "free" time to read is pretty limited...), but it remained there on the dresser and I finally opened it and began reading.

Now, I don't want to spoil the plot lines or give anything away, but I do want to share some of my thoughts about it. The main character, Mack, through a series of incredible events ends up spending the weekend with God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit at a remote cabin (shack) deep in the woods. For Mack it is a spiritual journey that I have seldom seen or read about. Theology aside (the restoration of the gospel has given us lost truths about the nature of God, where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going after this life, which I believe are true)...like I was saying, theology aside, the author's explanation and insight into a very personal relationship with God is quite amazing and uplifting. I can only touch on a few of them here, so here goes:

The truth that God is not only the creator of the universe, the world, and everything thereon, but that he is intimately aware of each of us, and loves us without measure or condition, was inspiring. In the book, what God desires of us is not simply obedience, but a "relationship" with him, a blending of wills, where our thoughts are His thoughts, and vice versa. Add to this our knowledge that we are all literally spiritual sons and daughters of God, it was reassuring that He wants us to be like him, not just slaves or servants to His will. It was sweet to see the perfect "One-ness" of God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost. It was a little odd to see the Godhead portrayed the way they were, but the topics, conversations, and actions of the three were much like I imagine it.

It was interesting to read about the fact that Light and Goodness exists, and that darkness, for example, only exists with the absence of light, and not the other way around. This is a subject I have felt passionately about for as long as I can remember. We, as children of God, have more power that we give ourselves credit with. Darkness and evil cannot ever win the war as their existence is dependant on the absence of light and goodness and God, being eternal and from everlasting to everlasting, isn't going anywhere any time soon. It is us who stray from and leave God, and not (never) the other way around. I'm not sure if this last part is making much sense, but I hope you get the drift of what I am trying to say. (You would think a writer would have better control of the English language, but that's what re-writes and editors are for...)

Anyway, couple finishing The Shack this morning and then going to the Draper Temple dedication today, and my thoughts are very much on things eternal. I will likely come back to this topic from time to time, and hope you will bear with me. Please, I welcome your comments and thoughts on this, and every blog I publish. I would love to chat with you.

--Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment