Monday, April 13, 2009

Super Breakout!

For the better part of a year I have been dreading the ending of my next book. It started out with a bang, the characters and action and plot line(s) just jumped out at me and it was all I could do to write it down. In fact, it came so fast and furiously (TWSS) that for the first time I wrote the first draft directly on the computer. It truly was a first.

And then I hit "the wall." I was concerned that my story premise couldn't carry through to the end. Exactly what was the motivation/purpose of one of my main characters? Nothing I came up gave me the goosebumps and felt right. And then there was the ending. I knew what I wanted to happen, but what I want and what I get are often two different things. And so, even when the chance came to write, I dreaded it. Was I on that "road to nowhere"?

And then it hit. In fact, it hit shortly after one of my previous blogs about being more committed to writing, and my character issue materialized. And what's even more cool is that I could see the shadows of this motivation throughout the half of the story that was already written--it was like my subconscious knew it all along and was just waiting for me to catch up.

And then this weekend the floodgates opened! It was all I could do to type in the scenes and chapters that I had to write/re-write, and (I have to say), I love this ending! I wasn't expecting it quite like this, but I love it! (That might sound a little odd to someone who hasn't written fiction before--these stories really do take on a life of their own.) It's got drama, it's got intrigue, it's got sacrifice, it's got death, and more importantly, it's got life! I started getting up an hour earlier just to make sure I get the time in to write before my work and other responsibilities get a hold of me.

It feels good to be "in the zone" again. I hope you all like it when it's completed.

...so let it be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment