Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mapping out the Journey


So, I've taken a bit of heat on Facebook when I revealed that I had started reading a book that blended creative writing and yoga. It would seem that the majority of my friends are unable (or unwilling) to see the connection between the two. But in their defense, I had purchased this book years ago (in 2004) and tried to start reading it back then (and even once since then) but I guess I wasn't "ready" for it, because both times I couldn't get past the first few pages.
But you know the old saying, "When the student is ready the Master will appear." I must be ready now, and I tell you, this book is awesome.
To many it might seem odd to blend a physical activity, such as yoga (and to all those who are disciples of yoga--I know! I know! Yoga is more spiritual than it is physical...but bear with me) with creative writing, which is largely mental (and again, to all those who are writers know that writing is so much more than what takes place in the brain...but bear with me). It is this blending of the breath, body, mind, and spirit. I have always been a believer that the mind, body, and spirit are closely connected (I might even say that they are "One"), and when you affect one, for good or bad, the others are affected, too. So it was a familiar voice that spoke to me from this book when the connection was made with specific emphasis on writing.
"If you do not breathe correctly, you do not move correctly." So said Chuin, the Master of Sinanju, and it has been a concept that I have believed in for years. Thus far (I am only in chapter 3) this book has given great instruction and yoga suggestions for calming the mind, centering the body and making a real difference in my own writing practice and routine. I seem to be more of a "hands on" learner, and when I can blend the physical to help the mental or spiritual, I tend to learn better and modify my behaviors to better reach my goals. I have started to take a long look at my intentions for writing, being better about scheduling it and making a regular appointment with my muse (this was the key, by the way, to how I was able to write Lifted Up--every day at my lunch hour the words would flow fast and furious for exactly one hour and then dry up, only to return the next day during lunch--it was really odd until I understood the importance of routine and regularity). This book is really helping me map out my journey toward my dream of writing full time.
So to all you naysayers out there, those who believe only in traditional (and perhaps outdated) instruction, I would encourage you to suspend your disbelief, if even for a minute, and consider that there may be more to this world and the way we operate within it than meets the eye.
...so let it be done.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I am in agreement that the mind, body, spirit, and heart come together to make the whole person. They are dependent upon each other.

    ReplyDelete